The opinions expressed herein may or may not represent my own personal opinions and definitively do not represent my employer's view in any way...

Saturday, July 28, 2007

A toe in the water

So I came across James McGovern's post that more EA's should start blogging - well here I go. Where are all the others.... Really I wonder if I will find the time, perhaps that is the constraint my peers face. But you know what, I'd be happy if it got some interaction going and mind share so I will give it a go.

What is top of mind today...
1. Knowledge architecture - I'd love some knowledge sharing on that :-) If you look beyond personal devices and software, the IT industry is massively geared towards high volume/small transaction business activities. What about the knowledge worker who only every operates in a semi-structured style, and deals with large complex 'transactions' at very low through-puts.

2. EA Tools - does anyone use them? Any confessions to paying big $$$ for some shelf ware. Yeah I am talking about those shiny ones that cost mega bucks. Presumably on the basis of 'value potential' rather the development cost. How many of us EA live on ppt, viso and a shared file repository? Anyone else thought of doing a 'composite' EA toolset that uses open source products. Anyone interested in bouncing this around, I have some ideas to share.....

3. EA Headcount benchmarking - anyone seen any FTE ratios between architect team to the enterprise headcount, or overall revenue, hopefully split by industry sector.

4. What is worth reading - bookwise in and around EA? Currently I wading through 'Human Interactions' and 'Systems Thinking: Managing Chaos and Complexity'. Both are dense reads, but worth pursing from what I've covered to date.

Time to go.

No comments: